Consumer watchdog honours Waitrose, Premier Inn, Samsung – and Toolstation
Consumer champion Which? has named the best brands of the year at the tenth annual Which? Awards, with Waitrose, Premier Inn and Samsung among those claiming the coveted accolades.
The 10th Which? Awards ceremony was co-hosted by TV presenter, Natasha Kaplinsky, and Which? Chief Executive, Peter Vicary-Smith. Recognising and celebrating the best businesses, the awards focussed on innovation and the changing expectations of consumers over the last decade.
Waitrose won the battle of the supermarkets and was crowned ‘Which? Supermarket of the Year 2016’, competing against shortlisters Aldi, Iceland, Marks & Spencer and Ocado. The hotly contested ‘Retailer of the Year 2016’ category, saw Toolstation beat John Lewis, AO.com, and Liz Earle to the top spot. In addition to a positive customer experience, the retailer was commended for working collaboratively with Which? to improve its terms and conditions, making them more consumer-friendly.
Tech giant Samsung was awarded a special ‘Which? Awards 10th Anniversary Award’ for consistently performing well in Which?’s research and testing, and focusing on making their products better for consumers. It’s also the only brand to be shortlisted for both ‘sound and vision’ and ‘home appliance’ categories this year.
The Council of Mortgage Lenders (CML) picked up the ‘Which? Positive Change Award 2016’, recognising their work with Which? to improve the presentation, accessibility and consistency of mortgage fees and changes.
The Which? Awards recognise businesses that have achieved positive change and deliver excellent products and service that score highly in our research and testing. We award businesses across a wide range of sectors from cars to retailers, banks to home appliances and local businesses. They are completely independent and businesses cannot put themselves forward to win an award.
Which? Awards 2016 Winners (and shortlist):
- Which? Banking Brand of the Year 2016: First Direct
- Which? Insurance Provider of the Year 2016: NFU Mutual
- Which? Supermarket of Year 2016: Waitrose
- Which? Computing & Mobile Brand of the Year 2016: Google
- Which? Sound & Vision Brand of the Year 2016: Samsung
- Which? Home Appliance Brand of the Year 2016: Miele
- Which? Telecom Services Provider of the Year 2016: Zen Internet
- Which? Retailer of the Year 2016: Toolstation
- Which? Travel Brand of the Year 2016: Premier Inn
- Which? Trusted Trader of the Year 2016: Electricians in Reading Ltd
- Which? Awards 10th Anniversary Award: Samsung
- Which? Positive Change Award 2016: CML
Peter Vicary-Smith, Which? Chief Executive, said: “Over the last decade we have shortlisted 370 companies and crowned 120 Which? Award winners.
“Since the Which? Awards launched we have seen a consumer revolution, with rapid change in consumer behaviour and expectations transforming the way businesses interact with their customers. A Which? Award is evidence that these businesses are engaging consumers with what they do and delivering products and services of the highest quality.”